Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Trip to Fox61

I really enjoyed my trip to Fox61 for the election 2 weeks ago. We spent a lot of our time watching and getting a feel for the newsroom, but we also were able to help out with some numbers, and hang out in the pit with some of the producers. As we toured around the building, I got a better feel for what the newsroom really means to the station, and how cental it is in producing a broadcast, especially one of this magnitude. I enjoyed being in the booth for part of the broadcast, and getting to see what it's like up there with all the yelling that goes on, and how much needs to change throughout the course of the show.
I also had a valuable opportunity to talk with the sports anchor, Rich Coppola, which was helpful for me in that it gave me a contact in the sports department that I may be able to use when it comes time for me to do an internship.
Overall I found the trip to the station to be a great experience, and one that really showed me what its like in a newsroom setting when deadlines have to be met, and things need to get done. The fact that we were able to go for the election coverage only added to the good time that I had, and it showed me what it's like at the station on one of the most important nights in recent memory.

No comments: